- CDE has been engaged in policy research and advocacy on migration issues for more than ten years.
- In late 2008, as part of this ongoing work, we brought together leading international and South African experts on migration, senior government officials, and business representatives to consider what we could learn from international experience in this field.
- More specifically, we sought to ascertain how experiences in other countries could help South Africa to create a migration management system that:
- The anti-foreigner violence of May 2008 has been the most dramatic proof yet that South Africa is not managing migration effectively.
- Beyond this short-term crisis lies a long-term challenge. Democratic South Africa has failed to develop migration management policies and systems appropriate to our needs.