- While Pretoria is endowed with some powerful advantages, this study finds that it faces some tough challenge including assuming its obligations to its poor surrounding areas if it is to realise its comparative potential in the new regional and world order.
- Over the past two years, the Centre for Development and Enterprise has conducted a major study of South Africa’s largest cities.
- This project has been guided by certain core ideas
- This, the fourth report in CDE’s Big City Series, explores the prospects of South Africa’s administrative capital. For many years, Pretoria assumed that its large public service and industrial sectors would secure its future indefinitely. However, this assumption is no longer valid.
- Following South Africa’s democratic transition, the city’s planners have begun to identify a need to change the city’s image, and to look towards new engines of growth.
Photo credit: Wikimedia