- The CDE Migration Series is based on an examination of the international experience in five areas central to the migration issue in South Africa.
- Working with Professor Myron Weiner, former director of MIT’s Centre for International Studies and chairman of the External Research Advisory Committee to the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, CDE commissioned five research papers from international experts on selected topics relevant to migration policy in South Africa.
- The first report in the series, People on the move: Lessons from international migration policies, is based on an examination of the international experience in five areas central to the migration issue in South Africa.
- This document, the second in the CDE Migration Series, analyses the current policies on migration in South Africa, and develops a new approach to cross‑border migration for the country. Based on a detailed analysis of critical issues in the migration policy debate, CDE’s proposals involve a two‑tier approach distinguishing between skilled and unskilled migration.
- The CDE policy package is designed to stimulate economic growth and strengthen the economy by enlarging the pool of skilled people and entrepreneurs and by promoting a more efficient labour market. The proposals accommodate regional pressures for migration while limiting the claims on public resources until immigrants have demonstrated their capacity to contribute to the country.
Press release: Fortress SA is hardly a wise way to discourage aliens