- Atlanta in the United States of America has managed to achieve a critical mass of civic and economic growth.
- In 21 years of black control of city government, Atlanta has experienced an economic boom. Being high amongst the cities that black and white Americans prefer to live and work in, Atlanta has been rated the most desirable business location in the United States.
- Key attributes to the development and culture of Atlanta is a respect for economic pragmatism; a network of business elites that emphasised commercial growth and personal civic participation; and historically strong, segregated black higher institutions.
- The economic logic of cosmopolitan racial tolerance was never lost on Atlanta. Its business community historically made a connection between good image, good race relations, and future prosperity.
- Atlanta’s success touted as model for South Africa, Ann Bernstein, Business Day, 24 February 1997
- Atlanta, model lesson for SA’s embattled cities, Ann Bernstein, The Star, 26 February 1997