- CDE held its fourth debate on 30 September 1996. Issues raised included problems with South Africa’s employment statistics; a focus on entrepreneurship, education and political backing for business ownership; a suggestion of a national youth corps where young people spend a year ‘serving the nation’; and a warning that job creation occurs within a globalised economy.
- The speakers were minister of Labour, Tito Mboweni, CDE board member and independent consultant Professor Lawrence Schlemmer, and Thandi Mathibela, president of the National Association of Women Business Owners and director of her own company, Thandi’s Kitchen Centre, in Diepkloof, Soweto.
- Ms Mathibela is also a board member of Ntsika Enterprise Promotion Agency, an agency of the Department of Trade and Industry.
- Tito Mboweni opened the debate by saying that the issue of unemployment covers two matters: the statistics of unemployment, and the implications of the country
- The debate was chaired by CDE board member Jabu Mabuza of SA Breweries.
Press release: Durban’s vision needs good leadership