- The recruitment experiences of private sector companies and their perceptions of skills shortages are central to a proper understanding of this crucial issue.
- The shortage of skilled people in South Africa is one of the most pressing issues on the agendas of both business and government.
- What are the realities of this situation in the day-to-day operations of companies? How do they cope? What do they think of government strategies to overcome the dearth of skilled people? CDE surveyed a cross-section of 40 businesses that recruit skilled labour in this climate of constraint.
- The research findings have important implications for government policies aimed at a ‘skills revolution’, and South Africa’s prospects of accelerated and shared growth
- For this reason, CDE undertook a survey to find out more about business and skills shortages.