- Over the past decade, a highly significant new approach to managing cities has developed in the United States. The approach to crime prevention is one aspect of a comprehensive new framework for city management that has had a far-reaching impact on American urban life.
- The new urban paradigm has four chief elements: preventing crime; attempting to reform welfare; reforming city-level government; and reforming the education system within cities.
- The case of education is instructive. In every other area of the urban paradigm, the writers are full of admiration for attempted solutions, co-operation between the public and the private sector, the rejection of grandiose plans and targeted solutions.
- Those who govern cities must understand what they are able to do, and do it effectively. They should then reach agreements with other political, economic, and social actors to get done whatever else needs to be done.
- South Africa does not have to develop any brand new approaches to urban governance and development. A careful study of the new urbanism, and action along similar lines, will make a real contribution to getting cities right within our country.
Press release: ‘New urban paradigm’ revitalises cities