- Displaced urban areas are not towns or cities if they lack the commercial, industrial and other economic activities ordinarily associated with urban development and their social services.
- Displaced urbanisation is one of the worst legacies of the apartheid era, where millions of black people were forced to live in places and circumstances that were not of their choosing.
- South Africa needs an effective urbanisation strategy critical component is a realistic rural development programme.
- For the country to achieve a more equitable and efficient system of cities and towns, we have to pay more attention to getting the cities right.
- A coherent framework for public/private expenditure is essential and expenditure must ensure maximum returns.