- How is the South African middle class doing in comparison to other developing democracies?
- What are the different definitions of the middle classes in South Africa and India, Brazil and Kenya? The Centre for Development and Enterprise (CDE) has been finding out by commissioning research and hosting discussions with experts and stakeholders in India and Brazil.
- This Round Table report is based on a high-level workshop with Indian and Brazilian think tank partners that took place in São Paulo, Brazil.
- The report reveals that successful democratic societies of the future will be those that achieve sustained economic growth which consolidates and improves the hard-won status of this demanding and newly empowered constituency.
- The rise of the middle class in emerging democracies is an important global issue.
- An expanding and large middle class is vital for inclusion and stability, especially in developing countries with many poor and excluded people.