- From 2005 to 2008, CDE conducted a major study of the explosive growth of Pentecostal and Charismatic churches in South Africa.
- To mark the launch of these publications, and the conclusion of the project, CDE brought three international experts to South Africa to give a public lecture and participate in a workshop on the growth of Pentecostalism and its potential developmental role.
- On 11 March CDE held a workshop on the social and economic impact of Pentecostal and Charismatic Christianity in South Africa. It was addressed by Prof Martin, Prof Ojo, and Prof Schlemmer.
- Prof Berger participated in the subsequent discussion. The edited proceedings of the workshop appear in a publication entitled Faith on the move: Pentecostalism and its potential contribution to development.
- The topic of this lecture, faith and development, is presumably of interest to people in either area. Why should anyone else be interested in it? I’ll tell you why.