- The Centre for Development and Enterprise (CDE) held its 12th debate on 6 September 1999. Government has taken steps to create an SME friendly environment since 1994.
- But is government doing the right things?
- Does it have the capacity to implement the agenda it has set for itself? Are the right mechanisms and institutions in place? How much delivery is actually taking place?
- What trade-offs have been made? How is government measuring its impact in these areas?
- The speakers were Alec Erwin, minister of Trade and Industry; Bulelwa Bulu-Toni, editor-in-chief of the Western Cape-based community newspaper Big News for Small Business and Temba Nolutshungu, director of the Free Market foundation of South Africa. Judi Hudson, senior research coordinator at CDE, chaired the debate.